7.25.2012

Yellow Billed Cuckoo - Spirit Animal >>>

Yesterday on the way home from the post office, we came across this beautiful bird in the middle of the road.  I instantly knew it had been hit, but didnt realize it was still alive until we drove past.  So I told James to turn around so we could get him out of the middle of the road before he got hit again.  When I went to pick him up, I saw blood, and he didnt attempt to move, so I thought it must of been pretty bad.  I scooped him up, and unknowing to James, brought him back to the car with me to take home.  I was worried if I just moved him to the side of the road, he would straggle back there, and I felt in my heart that if he did die, I wanted to be able to send him off with love.  I didn't know if it was the right thing to do, but my heart told me it was, with the best intentions. 
After we brought him home, I sat him in the grass to see if he would try to move or fly.  For a while he just sat there.  But luckily, when I went to move him, it hopped.  Then it hopped a little bit further.  Then it mustered up the courage to hop up onto a little low branch... After sitting for a moment at each step it made, it would venture a little further, until finally it flew up into the tree!!!  Here he is below up in the tree.  After sitting and recouping for a long time in the tree, it flew off!  I was sooooo happy to know that he made it, even if he was relocated.  If I had left him in the road, he would surely not be with us today.  Ive never had such an up close personal experience with a wild bird before.  I talked to it alot while it was up in the tree.  I told it to please come visit me... although, Im pretty sure I wont be seeing him in my backyard.  Cuckoos like to remain hidden in the woods.  But I would be delighted if he did!!!


Since we are currently studying animal spirit guides in the Intuitive Heart Sanctuary, I definitely saw this one as a sign.  I usually do anyway, since I feel such a connection with animals... but evermore so this time.  It was very interesting to read about this particular bird and its meanings, especially knowing the cuckoo is a close relative to the roadrunner, whom came to me preceeding my dads death. The fact that this little birdy made it out alive, and its a yellow-billed one, not a black-billed one, tells that it came to show me a new beginning, not an ending this time.  Im curious to see how this unfolds.  I feel blessed to have met him yesterday.

post signature

24 comments:

  1. I so love animals, and the whole idea of them as spirits that we connect with. Are there any books or resources that you recommend to read about these sorts of topics? I've been curious to learn more but don't really know where to start!

    What a beautiful bird too, the yellow beak is absolutely gorgeous.

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes!!! go get the book Animal Speak by Andrews... today! its the best. my mom recommended it to me and im ever grateful for it!!

      Delete
    2. Will definitely look into that and order it :) Thank youuuuu !!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful bird and a wonderful gift! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty bird and heartwarming story! I'm so glad you were able to take some meaning from the experience, it definitely sounds like a sign to me. And thank goodness it was able to fly off! I've lost too many injured wild animals, including a baby rat last month that my hubby brought home. We were really hoping to get it back to health and keep it because that's how I came to have my first pet rat as a kid. Anyways, thanks for all the pictures too, too pretty of a creature to miss out on seeing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful bird and a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this. I'm so happy you got him out of the road and he was able to fly free again! I've been connecting with my animal spirits this past year, and it really is incredible to discover them and take meaning from their presence in my life. We moved to the coolest new home and I find it no coincidence that this little hummingbird shows up on a our back patio every evening when I chill outside :) I'm excited to have learned about animal spirit guides and look forward to their influences in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it so much that you did this. <3 I have such a stronger connection to animals than to people (I don't ever even kill bugs), and would do the exact same thing. Maybe this was a special sign and it happened for a reason... Love you lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what a beautiful experience you had, I'm so glad you took the time to see if you could save him, and that he ended up being o.k.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! That little bird was so lucky you came along. I'm glad he's okay

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this story! I'm glad he was okay, a lot of the time a bird is in such shock from a traumatizing experience that it can't move for several hours (I've seen birds that won't move for up to 15 hours after a window crash or something similar). The pictures are also adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I there missy, I've been reading your blog for ages but don't really comment. Have you looked into Michael Harners core shamanism at all? (Big in the UK) I'm pleased the bird was ok when he left you and yes I would say its a sign that fell out of the sky for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This speaks to me and brings me to tears. I want to learn more. I want to be in tune with the animal spirits. I want to discover my totem. I'm off to check out that Intuitive Heart Sanctuary. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful rescue story! I'm so happy he is okay! Animal Speaks is an amazing book! Do you have the cards that go with it? I really want them! They look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is so cool. my family and i always try to save hurt animals, most of the time they dont make it. its so exciting that he did, and what an awesome handsome bird he is!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love seeing what beautiful puzzles the universe has put together for us. you and the cuckoo were meant to find each other. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh he's a beauty! Love your nurturing heart, so glad he found a friend in you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you did this and that you followed what you knew was best in your heart---intuitions can be very strong and I'm so happy you followed yours--look at that beautiful life you saved : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. isn't it amazing what we see/experience when we open up to receiving it?! i'm still amazed at both of our experiences...you were brave!


    Amy <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. you have a heart of gold. not many people would take the time to stop & help an animal in need. i have no doubt this was a special blessing for you :)

    -erin

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sweet, I'm glad he's ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you, so much, for following your heart, for turning around, for letting your intuition be a voice louder than doubt. sweet bird, fly strong. xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice save! This is a really sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not sure how I missed this post! I'm so glad he was ok!! Thank you for being the kind of person to stop and make sure!
    I've been known to rescue little critters too. Robins, pigeons, baby bunnies, and of course my little squirrel friend Maxwell! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!